Monday, February 2, 2009

Turned the heel

Yes,the heel is turned, picked up the gusset stitches and I am still 2-at-a-time and moving right along. The hardest part was getting the right stitch count on each needle with them lined up in the proper order. Now it is clear sailing through the gusset decreases as I move towards the toe.
Minstrel update: UPS tracking shows it has moved from La Marque, TX, to Houston, and has arrived in Dallas early this morning. to be continued......

I went to the library yesterday and saw they had the book, "Teach yourself Visually, Handspinning", by Judith MacKenzie McCuin. I thought right, sure, this would be pretty lame, but then I saw that the technical editor was Maggie Casey of Shuttles Spindles and Skeins in Boulder and the author of Start Spinning, which I already own. I knew then that this would be a worth while way to spend several days before the wheel arrives. Yesterday was the Superbowl, and since I am NOT a sportsfan, I blew all the way through this book during the game. It is great and covers everything from fiber prep, through handspindles and wheel spinning, to dyeing and knitting with handspun. The photos are great and even if the info is pretty basic, it is very clear for beginnners and a valuable resource along with Maggie's own book. I did confirm while I was reading this book, that even though I am right handed, I spindle spin like a lefty. I keep my fiber wrapped around my right wrist and draft with my left. I wonder what will feel best when I get the wheel set up.

3 comments:

cici said...

they look great! I always have a hard time figuring out the how many stitches too!

Lupie said...

Getting all the right number of stitches on both socks was hard for me when I made my one and only pair like this. I then started a second pair and have not gotten to the heal flap. That was one year ago. Yours look great!
Can't wait to see the yarn you spin up.

Amanda said...

Love your socks. I always knit my socks two at a time now but I've yet to fins an easy way to get the stitches on the right needles when doing the heels and gussets. Any tips?