Monday, August 24, 2009

We were Knitting, we were spinning



Posted by Picasa

Sunday was our regular spinning and knitting gathering and we had new faces and old faces and some regulars were missing, but it was a great group. There are not a lot of spinning activities on the south side of the metro area, so we are hoping to grow over time and provide that resource. The skill level varies, but all are always welcome and there is no shortage of advice and help and camaraderie.


This fiber from Pagewood Farms

became this:

and then this!

The small skein was Navajo plied from the overage from the three ply on the bobbin. Isn't it interesting how the same fiber can have totally different looks depending on how it is spun and plyed. Navajo plying reduces barber-poling giving clearer colors and longer color runs.

After plying the soft colors of the Pagewood Farms Fiber, I started spinning the fiber from JulieSpins in the color Bouquet. I split the roving in half, lengthwise and am spinning from the dark tones to the bright tones. The wool is Targhee and not superwash, so I think I will make another shawl from it.


6 comments:

Tally Knits said...

Pretty! I miss my spinning guild, which I left in N. Georgia when I moved back home (south of Atl).

How are you liking the Targhee? I spun it once and loved how sproingy it was.

Nancy McCarroll said...

THAT is lovely and I'm in awe of your spinning skills. It must be rewarding to start a wool project from the ground up!

bunnits said...

It looks like you all had great fun. Isn't it delightful to get together with fiber friends for a little time-out from the daily grind? The yarn is lovely.

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

The yarn is absolutely beautiful!

Unknown said...

Lovely handspun! I am quite jealous!

Iron Needles said...

I would love to make it down there and spin with you guys again...heck, I would just love to have the time to spin a bit!