Saturday, January 16, 2010

2nd Blogiversary- and weekly catch up


I can't put it off any longer, here is my Blogiversary post. Happy two years to me! It will be heavy on photos and covering many topics.

The Bride Flight Studios Finn fiber is finished. This is my first attempt at a "singles" yarn and I think it came out pretty well. The finished knitting weight is heavy fingering to sport, even though I thought when it was washed and thwacked, it would fluff up to worsted weight. Not sure what it will be yet as I am still waiting for it to whisper it to me.

January is always a tough time for me. The holidays are over, the days are still short and temperatures outside are cold. This year is no exception and with me now working full time and Gary recovering from back surgery, we have not been able to be as diligent about keeping the sidewalks clear as in previous years. The house faces northeast and is a two story flanked by huge spruce trees. The net result is that snow and ice do not melt until spring if it is not attacked with tremendous effort.
Do you see the yard across the street? Clear of snow...... Fortunately that neighbor has been helping us out with his snow blower all winter. But this year, the crown of the street has made the ice flow onto our sidewalks and now it is about 3" thick in two large sections. Today I spent hours chopping water flow paths to the storm drain. And tonight it will all freeze again, making this a futile exercise.......again. I did this last weekend as well.
Here is a shot of the plant I thought I had killed this fall, but lives again. Each bunch of leaves is a source of joy and hope for my soul!
I finished the hat to match the handspun Alpaca mittens. It is a simple watch cap and should be warm and toasty for the lucky head that gets it.

New fiber from JulieSpins arrived this week and the color is so rich and regal. The fiber is Falkland and the color is Magenta Madness.

This is my 3rd pair of socks made with Patons Kroy Stripes which is available at the the big box craft stores and inexpensive.
Just because it is inexpensive, I didn't want to love this yarn as much as I do, but I can't help it. It makes a nice beefy sock which is super soft and the colors are bright and interesting. I have developed a slightly snobby attitude toward yarns and where I buy them, but yes, I will keep buying this yarn for basic socks, especially for giving away, since the washability is good.

More plant goodies: My hibiscus plants which lived outside on my back patio during the heat of the summer were brought in before the freeze, with the hope of just keeping them alive until spring. The peach flowered one was small enough to keep in the bay window, and the red flowered one was tall enough to live on the floor. Not only are they surviving, they have sent forth their first blooms since fall. More hope and joy for the soul.


Hope and Joy.... in a week of devastating photos and stories from Haiti. Be generous with your donations and take joy in what you do have as you give hope to those in such dire circumstances. My problems are minor in comparisons. I have food, I have shelter, I have medical care, and I know where all my family is.

Give to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Doctors without Borders, major religious organizations. Give till it hurts as they say, because it may just help ease the unbelievable hurt a little bit.

And thank you for reading my blog, if this is the first time or one of many times. Your comments and encouragement keep me going. Leave a comment and there will be a drawing for one of my handspun yarns, to be decided by me when I get the chance to dig through the pile tomorrow.


7 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

Your pictures of your Hibiscus are just lovely! I wish I was more of the plant growin' kind of gal. :)

Peaceful Knitter said...

Gorgeous blooms! And I'm glad to hear good things about that sock yarn. I've been tempted, but am also a bit of a sock yarn snob...

Ria said...

Happy Blogiversary!! Those flowers are gorgeous! I really don't envy you that ice.... blech.

Singles yarn is my fav... can't wait to see what it becomes! I got so0me of that sock yarn for a swap... thinking about mitts.

Iron Needles said...

Love the flowers, and understand about the ice. Our house is 'the one across the street' and we sympathize with our across the street neighbors who are in winter much longer than we. Very nice spinning and knitting. I bet you really enjoy the new roving. Very rich colors.

Also Happy Blogiversary to you, too!

Kitty said...

Happy two years! What an accomplishment! I love your blog and can't wait to see what happens next!

Amanda said...

Happy Blogiversery to you! Oh that ice looks like hard work and much to cold for me. Lovely handspun - great colour.

ewespin said...

Congratulations on your second *blogiversary* ! I've been stopping by to look for almost two years. I've been a lurker -- this is my first comment. Love your pictures of fiber, yarn, and gorgeous flowers. I live in Colorado about 75 miles northeast of you. I know what you mean about the ice !